Pages

10 September 2010

You don't like that I like wrestling?

First off, thank you to Blogger for finally allowing us to upload our own background images. I'll have something slightly more exciting in the near future, but getting to use the background from my personal site is far better than anything that they offered as a default image.

Secondly, I noticed that a few people who read yesterday's entry about my journey into pro wrestling decided to misinterpret some of the end of my entry, and think that I said TNA Wrestling was some sort of flawless entity. Not so; In fact, far from it. There's a lot of things TNA has done in the past that are inexcusably bad. But over the last several months, I think they've regained their focus, and I honestly feel that TNA is doing a much better job than either of the WWE's programs of keeping their World Championship as the most important thing in the company.

I don't care what wrestling company it is - WWE, TNA, ROH, indies, whatever! - If the between-match shenanigans aren't building towards a particular match either later that night or by the next PPV, then I'm not enjoying that segment, and it is a waste of my viewing time. For example, the entirety of Kevin Nash's recent storyline, about what happened in WCW over ten years ago? I don't care for these segments. I was watching WCW at the time, and rather enjoying the product (but, then, I've always been less cynical and far more forgiving than most wrestling fans on the Internet seem to be). And the biggest drawback to Nash's current storyline is that it's all based on backstage BS that never made it on to TV.

How is this relevant to any of today's fans? Bischoff and Hogan and Jarrett are calling Nash out on, what... the fact that he likes to get paid, in a capitalist society? And, really? Hulk Hogan is giving somebody shit about making money?

I think Ric Flair's "Fortune" stable vs "EV2.0" is being played backwards; Fortune should be presented as the young guys who have been with TNA for a long time, making their own name. Meanwhile, EV2.0 should be presented as the assholes who are coming in and taking up the young blood's valuable television time, despite having already had their chance in the spotlight.

What good is it to TNA's fanbase to have them booing the guys who will be with the company at the conclusion of this storyline, and cheering the guys who will all be gone by the end of 2011? This makes about as much sense as WCW's New Blood vs Millionaire's Club angle, which was basically the exact same thing... and when THAT version of this story was over, the New Blood was all that was left. But audiences had just spent the last year hating all the young guys, and had no reason to stop... probably driving a lot of the viewership to the WWF's product. And if the Fortune vs EV2.0 story isn't handled carefully, it COULD outright kill TNA.

However.

TNA is still doing a far better job of keeping the TNA Championship as the central focus of the company. Everybody is there with the intention of either winning that title, or helping to build its legacy. EV2.0 stuck around to hang out with TNA Champion Rob Van Dam. Fortune are a bunch of guys who think that EV2.0 don't deserve to be anywhere near the belt. Hogan, Bischoff, and Jarrett vs Nash & Sting is all about letting the young guys have their day in the sun, and not hogging the Championship on top of a glass ceiling. Meanwhile, Jeff Hardy, Kurt Angle, Ken Anderson, and D'Angelo Dinero have been setting up for the finals of the championship tournament at TNA's biggest PPV of the year, Bound For Glory.

The entire Knockouts division has been focused around Madison Rayne and her Knockouts Championship, for the last several months.

The Motor City Machine Guns and Beer Money, Inc. just had an incredible series of matches for the TNA Tag Team Championship.

Doug Williams has brought some attention back to the X-Division Championship with some unique championship defenses.

And AJ Styles winning the Legends Global Television Championship from Rob Terry and RE-re-naming it brings a LOT of attention to that title belt.

Again; In TNA, the focus is on the championships. On Raw, the focus is on mystery GMs and celebrity guests who do nothing to contribute to the actual matches, and just distract from the fact that half of the roster couldn't put together anything more than a basic match to save their careers, and a handful of rookies who can barely even put together a basic match. Smackdown, meanwhile, has never had a central focus since it began in 1999. It's always been the "B-show" that creates stars to feature on Raw.

One of my friends once described the WWE's product as "all sizzle and no steak." And I find it hard to disagree with that.

Which isn't to say that TNA is all steak. They've got plenty of sizzle, themselves. But of the two companies, I very much prefer what TNA is putting on television.

Or, at least, I did. I'm three weeks and a PPV behind. I could completely change my mind based on what's happened between The Whole F'N Show and No Surrender. Plus last night's episode.

Also, because I don't want this to become just another wrestling blog, this is the last thing I'm going to be writing about wrestling for a LOOOOONG while. For everybody else, back to your regularly-scheduled geekiness on Monday.

Finally, next time you have a comment about something I write, please at least have the decency to say it directly to me in my own comments section, rather than hiding behind somebody else's Facebook page. Let's all be adults, here, hm?

1 comment:

Linda said...

I liked part 2 the best :)